Thursday, July 2, 2015

I'm Back

After nearly a 2 year hiatus due to a bum back and the resulting surgery, I'm back in the brewing scene.  I've built myself a brewing rig on wheels so I'm not lugging around my equipment and spending time setting it up every time I brew and can get right to the good stuff.  Still needs some work, but its functional.  

I completed my first brew on the rig two weeks ago. I decided to go with a personal favorite, my Citra Pale Ale.  It is a full flavored pale ale that uses citra hops for my flavoring and aroma and dry hop.  It is delightfully refreshing on a hot summer day.  

I decided to do something  new (to me, I'm sure many homebrewers do the same) to  get my yeast going. I was using Safale 05, and decided to hydrate my yeast using some leftover second runnings from my mash. Let it sit and do its magic during my boil and chill. By the time it was time to pitch, I had some nice active yeast.

I hit my gravity spot on, and my fermentation chamber smells amazing. I can't wait to try this guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment